UCAS - References
Who should write it?
- a member of your family
- a relative
- a friend
How to write it
The referee must ensure the applicant has completed the form correctly and has attached the completed and stamped acknowledgement card, international reply coupons (if appropriate) and the correct fee. Please use black ballpoint pen or type the reference. The type size must be at least 12 point or larger. You must not separate the two halves of the form. If you are using a word processor, a stick-on version of the reference page can be obtained to use in a printer. Please write as clearly as possible as the application form will be reduced in size during processing.
At the top of the page, in the spaces provided, give your name, how you know the applicant (for example, employee) and the name and address of your school, college, company or organisation.
After the applicant's name, please give the reference. Try not to repeat the information that the applicant has given, unless you want to comment on it. To help the universities and colleges, try to comment on the applicant as follows:
- academic achievement and their potential, including predicted results or performance
- their suitability for the course
- any factors that influence performance
- personal qualities, such as motivation, powers of analysis, communication skills, independence of thought
- career plans
- health or personal circumstances
- non-academic interests or activities
- Has the applicant filled in all sections of the application form?
- Are the qualifications correct?
- Have you given your name, occupation and address?
- Have you completed the reference?